Saturday, July 16, 2016

New Respect for Indexers

I have been participating in the FamilySearch Worldwide Indexing Project this weekend. This has been a first for me and I wasn't sure what to expect. I started off with several of the beginning projects and my arbitration results were 96%, so I gradually moved up to the intermediate batches.

I have been working on indexing Kentucky marriage records. Some records date as far back as 1861 and others as late as 1940. I love the idea of giving back to the genealogy community, and it has definitely been exciting. Most of the records were clear and fairly legible, while others were more difficult to read. This project has given me a much deeper respect for all of the volunteers who have all ready given so much of their time to index the billions of records I take for granted on FamilySearch and other databases. I encourage others to join the indexing project and help make more records available online. By volunteering, you are giving back to the community and making it possible for others to find their ancestors.

Want to help? Click here to go to FamilySearch Worldwide Indexing Project and get started today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews